READERS

Friday, November 2, 2012

Healthy Banana Muffins

At my house there has been A LOT of early mornings, the ACT, school, and of course deer season. Deer season around my house is a big deal. Not necessarily to me and my mom, but it is a valuable time for my dad and brother. They get up early and go out on the stand and just sit and sit for hours! I seriously don't know how they do it. My mom and I love deer season because we get two big benefits from the season: 1st, we get to enjoy the awesome deer meat they  bring home and 2nd, we get girl time! Its precious time that me and my mom NEVER take advantage of.
So when we have early mornings around here, it means breakfast is a hard choice. My dad and my brother like to stop by the nearest McDonald's and get themselves something, but I thought I would make their lives easier and keep them healthy as well. I found this recipe a while back and had wanted to make them for quite some time, but you have to have overly ripe bananas for the recipe. In my house we love bananas so they weren't getting soft before someone ate them! Finally I bought some bananas and told everyone in my family that they were not to be eaten or thrown away.
The muffins are healthy, easy , and really good! So whats not to like?!

Healthy Banana Muffins
yields about 12 muffins
80 calories EACH!
(I doubled the recipe because I wanted to freeze some!)

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup mashed banana (approx. 2 very ripe bananas)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plain applesauce
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl beat bananas, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Stir in applesauce, stir in flour mixture. Pour batter into lined muffin tins. About 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment