READERS

Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Look to the Normal

My family and I love to try new foods and experiment with new flavors. One of our favorite go to appetizers or snack is Boudin. If you have never heard of boudin, I want you to drive right now to Walmart and get some. You can also order it off websites, the ones online from Louisiana are better, but not everyone is patient enough to wait that long. Boudin is a highly seasoned  link sausage of pork and rice that is a typical element of Louisiana Creole cuisine. It comes in a casing that you eat it out of. You can grill them, poach them, or in this case FRY THEM! We normally poach them with some water in a skillet and turn the burner on medium-high heat and wait til it is heated all the way through. If you do it this way, you might need to keep an eye on it and had more water.
My family and I were watching a cooking show and they were talking about boudin and they said the ways to cook it and one of the ways was to fry it! My dad insisted we try it, so we did and I feel like my life has changed forever. In Oklahoma frying almost anything is normal, which might be the reason that we are up there on the obesity chart! So my advice is to not eat this everyday! haha but once you try it, you will want it every day.

Fried Boudin
thanks to my dad for preparing it :)


Boudin unprepared.


Take your boudin and cut it about an inch in diameter or each piece. As seen in the picture to the left.
 Prepare your egg wash with about 4 eggs whisked together in a bowl and then some plain bread crumbs in another bowl. No need to add any salt or pepper because the boudin is already seasoned to perfection. 

Ready to fry!
 













Get your cast iron skillet hot with oil. Dip your boudin in egg wash then the bread crumbs and stick in the skillet. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, take out of the skillet, let cool and ENJOY! I like to put a little bit of hot sauce on top of mine before I eat them!

Done!

Heaven!




Appetizer Idea:
Once you get the boudin out of the skillet put a toothpick in the top and put of a platter and serve to your hungry guests. They will thank you forever for this discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment