READERS

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Asparagus Tart!

In my family food is everything. We love to cook things together and then talk about how wonderful it tastes. Everyday someone in my family will ask "What are we having for dinner tonight?" We like to try new recipes, but we don't do anything crazy. We stick to the ingredients that are familiar to us. For example, we would never try a recipe with squid because its not like we eat it all the time. If we grew up eating squid then maybe we would cook with it more often. But my family is also not boring, don't get me wrong. Half the things we normally cook with, people are scared to even try. For example, chicken livers, deer meat, and on occasion with my Uncle Mark beef tongue. But normally we stick to normal ingredients and try to mix it up a little bit. 

My family loves asparagus! We eat it every way, boiled, grilled,or steamed. Its great in the spring and summer, that's when we have it the most. The other day I was at the farmers market in Edmond and I found a fabulous bunch of asparagus. You could tell they were home-grown and yummy! So of course I bought two because one is never enough. I brought them home and showed them off to my mom. I was so excited about the asparagus, I thought that I needed to find a new and fun recipe to try. I went online to my favorite website and found a recipe for an asparagus tart from Ashley Rodriguez(my favorite). It was a very simple recipe that was very Delicious! I thought that I would have to share it with all those asparagus lovers out there.

Asparagus Tart 
Eat with a dressed salad and it makes a lovely summer lunch.
serves 6-8

      1 bunch of asparagus
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      1 package of store bought puff pastry sheets(you can make your own but I was on a time crunch)
      1/4 cup Mascarpone(yum)
      1/4 cup heavy cream
      1 large clove of garlic, minced
      1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
      Parmesan
      pinch on pepper flakes
      salt and pepper

preheat your oven to 420. Line baking sheet with parchment

Roll the puff out on the baking sheet into a rectangle.  Carefully put into the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.

In a small bowl combine the Marscarpone, cream, garlic, pepper flakes, and a hefty pinch of salt and pepper.

Remove the woody part of the asparagus ends and then toss with olive oil.

Remove the puff from the fridge and top with the Mascarpone mixture leaving a 1" border around the edges. On top of the Mascarpone lay the asparagus down, single file, one right next to the other. Sprinkle with fine sea salt and place in the oven. After the first 20 minutes of baking reduce the heat to 350 and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes, until cooked through.




Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Before you devour it, top with the toasted walnuts and shaved Parmesan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment