READERS

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cupcakes!

In the summer time I babysit about three times a week. If any of you babysit, you know that the more you do, the quicker the time passes. I figured that out probably my 2nd year of babysitting in the summer. I try to do everything from library visits or going to get cupcakes! I was babysitting the other day and I thought it would be a good idea to go get cupcakes. I don't know if cupcakes are a "big thing" where you are from, but in Oklahoma they are everywhere! The Sara Sara cupcake people built a new cupcake place in Edmond, they had one in Oklahoma City but it was too far out there. So we went to the new one in Edmond. The kids were super excited and may I remind you that the kids are 8, 5, & 3. So we get three cupcakes for us all to share. The cupcakes are ridiculously expensive, but I mean why not. I thought it was going to be a one time thing, boy was I wrong. While we were still at the Sara Sara cupcakes, the kids were all ready saying when we were going to come back. I hope the know that I just don't have all the money in the world to spend on cupcakes.
I had an idea to just buy a cake mix and bake them myself and then take them over to decorate! So that's what I did last night. I baked 24 spice cupcakes last night and took them over to their house today with a tub of icing, sprinkles, and food coloring! We had so much fun and it was much cheaper! I was so proud of myself for saving money, but in the end having more fun!
I thought I would share with you a cupcake recipe that I love!

Black and White Cupcakes!
makes about 18-20 cupcakes!
 INGREDIENTS
1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 1/3 cup sugar, divided
1 cup semisweet miniature chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350*

In a medium bowl,beat the cream cheese, egg, and 1/3 cup of sugar with a machine mixer on medium speed until the mixture is creamy and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.

In a large bowl thoroughly combine the flour, the remaining cup of sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla into it. Mix until just combined.

Fill each cupcake liner one-third with cocoa mixture and top it with the cream cheese mixture until the paper is about two-thirds full. Repeat for every one. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched. I like them a little under done from the oven because they cook a little more in the pan.  Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, but then take them out to cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled top with sour cream frosting! I prefer eating them warm with milk:)
If you want to eat one the next day pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoy with a big glass of milk!






Our beautiful creations


Two of my favorite cupcake books!


Little helper



No comments:

Post a Comment